Here’s the cake I made for my daughter’s 21st birthday that was a couple of weeks ago. The basis is our favourite chocolate fudge cake recipe with the addition of more chocolate decoration.
What you need:
For the cake
200g plain chocolate
200g light brown sugar
2 eggs, beaten
100ml soured cream
200g self-raising flour
5 tbsp cocoa powder
For the icing
100g plain chocolate
170g condensed milk
170g/6oz icing sugar
55g/2oz cocoa powder
1-2 tbsp milk
Depending on the size of your cake tin, 2-3 boxes of chocolate fingers
1 – 1.5 bags of Maltesers or your favourite chocolates, for example M&Ms, Milky Stars etc
What you do:
- The recipe for the main fudge cake is here
- I split the cake mixture into 2 x 7″ tins and baked for approx. 30 minutes
- Leave to cool until cold
- I made some chocolate buttercream icing and spread over the bottom sponge, then place the second sponge on the top
- Make the icing by putting the chocolate, butter and milk into a heatproof dish over a pan of simmering water and melt together. Let it cool for a short time.
- Spread over the cake and the sides – you need to do this quite quickly before the icing starts to set and is too stiff to spread
- Stick the chocolate fingers in the icing around the cake, be quick so the icing doesn’t set!
- Decorate the top the top of your cake with your chosen confectionary. I used Maltesers and some Milky Stars (as I ran out of Maltesers).
- Chill until the icing is set
- This is delicious on its own but you can top it off and make into a dessert by serving with cream or ice-cream. It is incredibly rich so you’ll only need a small slice at a time!
Until next time…Happy Baking!